Sunday, April 27, 2014

I'm a Nominee for The 2014 RFT Music Awards!

Last week, my wife and I were looking at a few homes with our realtor when I checked my phone and saw that our good friend, Theresa Payne, tagged me in this Facebook post:

"My fourth year in a row being nominated for The RFT Music Awards and my bro Kenneth is too!!!
What an honor! Showcase is gonna be amazing this year!!"

In my mind, I didn't have a lot of shows last year so I was shocked to receive such an honor. Nevertheless, I was excited and grateful to be included once again in the R&B category with some of my fellow St. Louis artists including: Teresa Jenee, Coultrain, SZA and Theresa Payne. 

Two years ago, I was a nominee in the same category and actually performed "That's When You Love" for the first time at Lola for The RFT Music Showcase. Now, here I am, two years later and preparing to release the single and music video!

(Pic of me before The 2012 RFT Music Showcase)


A lot has happened in the past two years, some of which I've discussed in previous blogs.

I decided to stop being so "all over the place" and really focus on finishing the album, develop my team, refine my sound and only do performances that make sense. While I missed be out and about so much, I learned that I really needed (and need) that time away.

Being an artist involves a lot of mental, emotional, spiritual, physical and financial effort. And to do it at this level and intensity requires a lot of dying to oneself, perseverance, tenacity, drive, ambition, steadfastness and so on. 

Kyle Kelley, incredible musician, brother and co-leader of Chris & Kyle with True Spirit, said this powerful statement years ago at a musicians' clinic: "When you're ready, they'll come to you." Those words have stayed with me over the years. Another quote I live by is "Success is when preparation meets opportunity," (Henry Hartman).

I'm ready for what lies ahead of me. The years of preparation have brought me to this moment and I'm ready to seize it. 

The link to The RFT Music Awards article can be found here

I'll keep you guys posted over the next few weeks as we get closer to the voting process and showcase details. As Theresa stated, the showcase is gonna be awesome! Help us support the St. Louis local music scene by voting and attending the showcase. 



No comments:

Post a Comment