Thursday, April 17, 2014

How I Prepare for Shows


A LOT goes into the making of a great performance. A lot of time, thought, energy, prayer, discussion, rehearsal, and more. Every artist is unique and has his or her own method or routine. I have a show this weekend, so I thought it would be cool to share my pre-game process.

1. Quiet Time
I talk a lot...just ask my wife or read my blog. I always have something to say.  LOL! So there are times when I have to force myself to be quiet and get still. And it's in those moments that I'm able to really think and listen for the voice of the Lord. Honestly, this is something I should do a lot more of. It's amazing the clarity I get in quiet time. 

2. I "See" Myself at the Show (Before the Show)
I'm a very visual person with a vivid imagination. I often times will go through an entire show in my head, from start to finish and imagine what I will look like, how I want to feel, how I think people will respond, etc. 


3. Review My Set List
I used to really struggle with set lists. At one time, I was super spontaneous, almost to a fault, but I learned (and am learning) how proper preparation actually gives room for true spontaneity, allowing the Holy Spirit to move as He sees it. 


4. Solo Practice
Lately, I've been able to get some really good practice in before work in the morning. I remember reading an author's interview where she stated that she would get up a few hours earlier or stay up a few hours before going to bed in order to write her book. Spending time alone going through the songs not only smooths out the rough spots, technically, but clears the headspace for the show. It also helps me give clearer directions for the band and team. 





5. Band Rehearsal
I love band rehearsal! I've always been a fan of collaboration and team work. Sometimes in band rehearsal, I discover that some of those "cool" ideas I had in my mind might not translate so well in person. lol! It's good though to get that stuff worked out before hand though. I often try not to have heavy rehearsal the night before a show so I can save my voice and rest. I don't mind light run-throughs but I've learned over the years how to rehearse without over doing it. 



6. SHOWTIME!
This is the time when all the hard work, preparation, rehearsals go into effect. I try to leave my heart on the stage every time I step on it. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I have what I like to call "learning opportunities" aka "ummm….how bout we don't do that again? lol! When it's all said it done, I want to give my all, have a good time and hopefully inspire and entertain the audience. 


I have a show this weekend at Foam so I'll be putting these steps into effect. It's gonna be an awesome show with St. Louis native, Fitzgerald and Chicago based Soul Singer, Aryk Crowder. I'd love to see you guys there! Let's make it an epic night!




No comments:

Post a Comment