Monday, March 10, 2014

What's Taking You So Long?!


I know...I know...I know...

EVERYBODY wants to know when the album will be released. lol! Do you guys think I sound like the theme song from "The Never Ending Story?" Lol. No, but seriously guys...The album is on the way! :)

I never thought it would take this long. As of this date, I've been working on this album for almost 4 1/2 years. Whoa.

I released my first EP, Mosaic, in October 2008. My "plan" was to release the full LP in March 2009. I knew it was a lofty goal, but I'm a very ambitious person. I was like "I can do this." Ha!

I researched producers, venues, shows and people I thought could help me get the record done. Honestly, I wasn't ready or prepared for some of the connections and opportunities I was searching for. And, I overlooked some of the resources and connections that were available to me. Some of those people were God-sent people, and they were right in front of my eyes. Pride, insecurities and being totally "green" got the best of me.

Thinking through things, it's crazy how even the title of the album has changed. I thought Mosaic would be the title of my first full length album, especially considering I released an EP with the same title. The natural progression would've been to do so, but nope. Things started to change...

At that time, most of my music and vibe had a heavy neo-soul/Gospel flow. I loved artists such as Musiq Soulchild, PJ Morton, Lisa McClendon and Leon Timbo. I had connected with many of them and started to create my own lane with hints of their musical influence. Then, I started exploring more of the screamo/alternative rock music like Flyleaf, RED, and Thousand Foot Krutch (more on that later) and had an idea to create a double EP called "Tales from the  Darkside/Emerge."

During that period of time, I felt like I was in "The Twilight Zone" so a lot of really dark/moody music was being written and developed. I was trying to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" and I wanted to portray that through music.

I remember hesitantly sharing this idea with some of my musician friends after one of my shows, and they laughed at me! :( So what did I do? I retreated and put that idea on the back burner. 

In 2010, the Lord began to deal with my heart concerning forgiveness. I didn't realize how much unforgiveness I had been carrying all those years. In that season, soon-to-be released songs like "That's When You Love" and "Face of Forgiveness" were born.

I started revisiting themes for an album and all I could think of was love. But I didn't want to create just any old "love album." In Kenny's World, we do things a little differently! :) There's a purpose and a reason behind everything. I wanted to show the full spectrum of love, from the good to the bad and the ugly.

Once again, what an undertaking! How was I, this "Christian" guy who leads praise and worship at church but also performs regularly at music venues like The Gramophone and The Old Rock House, going to release a "love" album? How would it be perceived? How would I tour? Will people accept me and my new music? Lots and lots of questions, fears and doubts started to arise.

I've had to ask myself these questions over and over again, but it got to the point where I had to be true to what I know God placed in my heart. Thus..."The Real Love Project." 

Sometimes in journeys that seem like they're so close yet so far away, we can get weary. I know that has been the case with me at times, and I've had to get refocused and get my eyes back on the prize.

I "pinky promised" my wife that I would complete this album, so there's no turning back…in our household, a pinky promise is the real deal. :)

We're in for the ride of our lives guys! Thank you for taking this journey with me.

Not only will I continue to post written blogs here, but I will be posting video blogs as well with even more details, interviews, performances and more!

Check out Episode 1 of "Kenny's Journey" here

Let me know what you think! Y'all know I love feedback. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment