Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Writing on the Wall

My wife and I recently invited some friends over for dinner and to hang out. It was awesome! We've been doing this more often and it's refreshing to see our friends laugh, sing and share what's going on in their lives.

Each get together has a theme and this particular one was called "Puerto Rican Night" in honor of the culture and for some of our friends who are Puerto Rican/Hispanic descent.

There have been some amazing conversations at these get togethers. One of the most commonly discussed topics is how each of us met our spouse or girlfriend (or boyfriend).

One of the couples included our little brother/friend, Ryan, and his girlfriend, Ardella. Ryan is one of the CRAZIEST people you'll ever meet! He has one of those personalities where you'll fall out laughing at his jokes even from just meeting him. We were walking down memory lane and he reminded me of a moment when he and I were roommates. 

I was in the early stages of working on "The Real Love Project" and we would often have vibe sessions with him on drums or guitar and me singing or playing the keys. He mentioned how I was a very artistic person and that one day when he came home there were sheets of paper with writings on them all over the house. He said he was scared at first! LOL! He thought I'd lost it but when he looked at each paper he saw that they were lyrics to songs.



I really appreciated him for reminding me of that, especially since I've been wanting to document the journey leading up to the release of the album.

I'm a very visual person. This was a creative way for me to express my thoughts and keep the music "in front of me." As the songs evolved, I gradually started taking down the sheets of paper. Our other brother and friend, Ed Meeks, reminded me that some of them started to fall down off the wall. Oooohh! The symbolism!! :)

I took down the last sheet of paper before moving out of that apartment. That was almost two years ago.

Moments like these are priceless to me. I'm loving how this story continues to unfold.

In one of my upcoming blogs, I'll explain to you guys my experience of actually "living" in the studio. Stay tuned!

I may be a tad bit "extra" as my wife says sometimes (lol) but have any of you guys ever done anything like this? No? lol! But if you HAVE, share with me your experience in the comments section below.

Love y'all!

Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment