Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Out of Darkness, Into the Marvelous Light


I was driving to the bookstore and in my head, I heard the theme song from a very popular movie. I looked up the tune on YouTube and started watching the video. The music was playing, but I had to cut it off halfway through. Something just wasn't right...

Then, these words flowed from my lips:

"Thank you for calling me out of darkness and into your marvelous light...
Thank you for calling me out of darkness and into your marvelous light...
Into your marvelous light..
Into your marvelous,
Into your marvelous,
Into your marvelous light..."

I kept singing it over and over until I reached the parking lot of the bookstore. I went inside, grabbed me a chai tea latte and began to write this blog post.

Music is a very powerful tool. It's one of the most beautiful expressions of art given to us by our Heavenly Father. But, in the wrong hands, it can become a weapon of mass destruction.

Lately, my ears have been very sensitive to music. It's like I have a new filter and my spirit can't (and won't) tolerate some things anymore. Even this past week, I've had to make some tough decisions, musically but obedience to God is more important to me.

Many of us who are big music fans have a tendency to get "lost" in the beat, often ignoring the lyrics. I'm guilty of this myself. In this movie's theme song, it wasn't necessarily the lyrics but the melody that didn't sit well with me.

Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised. My wife and I couldn't finish part 1 of this particular movie series because it was too weird. So we knew part 2 would be even worse.

What saddens me is that this song was written by some of our favorite artists. All of which who seem to be forging down an even darker path.

Matthew 15:11 says "It is not what enters the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles a man."

If someone has a "dark heart," darkness comes out. The same is true for someone who's heart is full of light - light proceeds from him or her. It's like the other saying"You shall know a tree by the fruit it bears." (Matthew 7:16)

I believe those words "thank you for calling me out of darkness" were from my soul, reminding me of those days I wallowed in the night: my bouts of loneliness, depression, attempted suicide, identity and low self-esteem issues. But it began to rejoice in the goodness of the Lord by saying the latter "...and into your marvelous light" - finally being free to live and love without fear or condemnation.

The Real Love Project is a snapshot of my journey from darkness into light - chronicling my days of looking for love in all the wrong places and finally being awakened by the One who loved me first.

I can't wait for you to hear this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment